Thursday, October 16, 2014

One is never too old…


 To learn something.
Or at least I have found that one can learn new things, old or not!
This particular trip to my in-laws proves my point: I have been here many times before, I have washed the dishes in this same sink hundreds, if not thousands, of times, but it was only during this trip that it finally clicked how one uses the hot water heater.

Most German homes have this system whereby the water kettle is incorporated on the wall by the sink: they make hot water for drinks this way as well as the extra hot water for washing dishes. The whys and wherefors thereof are lost in the shades of history (Perhaps in the beginning there was no hot water pipes? Or was it much quicker? Or cheaper?).

I wonder if the newer homes still have this system? Or will I have to learn something else when I visit the younger generation in years to come?


No comments:

Post a Comment