Friday, November 15, 2013

”I can see clearly now…”

“I can see clearly now the rain is gone 
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me down
It's gonna be a bright bright bright bright sun shiny day
It's gonna be a bright bright bright bright sun shiny day”

Are the words to the first stanza of one of Johny Nash’s more popular songs: a song that was first produced in 1972, then went on to be sung by Jimmy Cliff for the movie “Cool Runnings” in 1993.

The first line went jingling through my brain as I walked out from my optician at noon: in fact what I really said to myself – Oh my, I can see again.

After having broken one of my gas-permeable hard contacts way back at the beginning of the year, I went to my ophthalmologist for an eye check and a new prescription. Then I decided to change and get soft contacts and a pair of trifocals.  Well, two sprained ankles and many frustrating months later, I finally thought – this is stupid: change for change’s sake is only good as long as one is willing to admit that one made a mistake so I made an appointment with my former optician. After two weeks I can now see as well as before I broke that original contact. OK so I am back to reading glasses, it is a (very) small price to pay for being truly able to see – and the second line comes totally into its own.

So although it’s gray, and may rain or snow: I can see clearly!



No comments:

Post a Comment