Monday, January 4, 2021

Living well

Writing those words – the title of an article in my local Sunday paper – I didn’t first think of the classical “living well” but rather of the more specific … a well (of water) that is alive. Why? It is amazing how the mind can take detours even whilst wanting to actually interpret something as written. I thought of my older son who has a Master’s in Environmental Engineering, I thought of my younger son who loves nothing better than to be out in nature and has perhaps come across a “living” well or two in his lifetime.

I meant, however to address the subject of living in such a manner that one can deem one’s life well lived.

That in turn brings up more questions than answers: living a long life?, living in comfort? living without illness? living alone? with a lot of people? living in the sun? living in the mountains? Or by the ocean? or in the middle of a desert? living with goals? living for others? living for oneself?  I think for the moment I’ll simply admit that I am not Plato, Aristotle nor any of a 100 modern and better-philosophers-than-I. I’ll just go out and continue to live my life – the one I have always loved – as well as I can, and by “well” I don’t only mean philosophically, but also health-wise. Tough indeed in the current world situation.


Spring

summer sunset







Fall

winter sunset


1 comment:

  1. That may be on of my favorite grape photos ever.

    ReplyDelete