Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Exigency or exigencies….

 What will you have?

I loved today’s A.Word.A.Day

 

We could ask for many things as an urgent need or requirement: that the world be a more peaceful place, that this pandemic disappear, that there be no more disease and illness, that we know no sorrow, that we win the lottery…

 

But would these really solve our problems or would we simply create more to occupy ourselves?

 

Perhaps the best exigency that I could request, would be that I be a better version of myself, that I be more content with all that I have instead of thinking that something else would make me happier, that I enjoy to the best of my abilities all the wonderful life that I do have.

 

The attendant example of this word was a poem from Emily Dickinson:

 

“How happy is the little stone
That rambles in the road alone,
And doesn’t care about careers,
And exigencies never fears;
Whose coat of elemental brown
A passing universe put on;
And independent as the sun,
Associates or glows alone,
Fulfilling absolute decree
In casual simplicity.”
Emily Dickinson; Poems by Emily Dickinson: Second Series; Roberts Brothers; 1891.

 

OK my exigency for the day will be more poets like Emily Dickinson!

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment