Monday, August 24, 2015

Inter Alia


Sounds so much erudite than “among other things” so you can expect me to make a concerted effort to maintain it in my vocabulary.

From the mundane: your grocery list may include, inter alia, bread, milk and bananas to the more common usage in formal reports such as “he was, inter alia, president of the board” we don’t hear it often.
However, it is pleasing, inter alia, to my eye, my ear and my mind.
You may never hear the end of it.

Instead of using miscellany to cover a range of unrelated subjects I can now list them perhaps using this simply adverb: examples, inter alia, various thoughts for the day that I could – and perhaps should – treat as individual topics can simply be lumped together.

  • The door of a bigoted mind opens outwards so that the only result of the pressure of facts upon it is to close it more snugly. -Ogden Nash, poet (19 Aug 1902-1971)
  • Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -Blaise Pascal, philosopher and mathematician (19 Jun 1623-1662)

Oh this is, inter alia, fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment