Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Free time and other falsehoods


I have asked my mother two totally irrelevant and, in retrospect, stupid questions in my life (o.k. I mean I have done so – and remembered them – there is probably no end to the dumb questions I have asked along the way of all and a sundry).

The first one was when I turned 50: “how does it feel to have a fifty year old daughter?” Bless her heart; she didn’t disown me.  The second was when she was on the point of retiring: “what are you going to do with all your time?”

Anyone who has been there knows that that particular question goes to the top of the line when it comes to irrelevant and dumb.
Although legally retired, I have continued to do the book keeping for a small association as well as keeping on top of paperwork and admin for my family.  Come June 30th I have told the client that this time, it’s for real, I will no longer continue.

So I’ll be not only officially, but truly, retired – what am I going to do with all my time?

Got a small view of what that will be like this morning as am waiting some information before I can bring the client up-to-date.  Freedom: to go fill the car with gas, washing it along the way (hadn’t been done for a couple of months); swing by the post office box for the mail; off to the next village and the only open post office within a 5-minute drive to mail two sets of tax documents – one for this canton, another for the canton up the road (USA taxes still to be finished and sent).

Upon my return home decided that the car could perhaps benefit being vacuumed (no, didn’t go overboard, just the mats on the driver’s and passenger’s side in the front), which in turn led to vacuuming the entry and kitchen, the steps to the cellar and the laundry room. Hmmm…. That meant that the clothes dryer needed its lint screen cleaned.

Then it was boot up the computer, check e-mails, open the mail, contemplate the myriad of tasks still needing doing: but what the heck – it’s almost noon and time to leave for lunch with my oldest son. Never mind that a nap wouldn’t come amiss (all that vacuuming has turned my non-existent arm muscles into mush!

And I got up at 6:30 a.m.!!!
This afternoon I’ll probably need to recuperate from this morning – what free time?

No comments:

Post a Comment