Saturday, November 14, 2015

Evil


Endorra in “Bewitched” – about the dancing bear: “I don’t know where you learned to be so cruel, it must be the mortal influence”.

As was the case after “Charlie Hebdo” everyone is coming out with the blame, the “we must”, the “let’s close the borders”, the need to attribute a reason to what was done. As I learned with my first bout of cancer, if someone else can figure out that you did something (that they didn’t do) or didn’t do something (that you should have done and that they do) you become responsible for your cancer and alleviate them from having to worry about the same fate befalling them.

Sometimes the only reason is hate.

And this is something we humans seem to find all too easy.

I won’t be changing my profile picture – unless I can figure out some way of superimposing a globe on it – as there are many, many, many more such incidents taking place every day especially in the Middle East, in Afghanistan, in Africa. But, oh I forgot, those are in far away places, places that we don’t need to be concerned about as we don’t have friends or family living there (o.k. some of us do have, but the vast majority of the Western world don’t); places where we can ignore man’s inhumanity to man.

Do I find it horrible: yes!
Do I wish that it had never happened: equally.

But I am also aware of all the other incidents throughout the world and feel that we would be better off simply helping the neighbor, buying lunch for the beggar, talking to the kid who seems to not fit in, listening to the youth who’s parents are drug addicts, support the immigrant trying to get an education, and above all LOVING and being gentle with all children: the case can be made that some people are born evil (and I won’t disagree) but most terrorists were taught by their surroundings, their experiences and their circumstances to become hateful: as babies and toddlers they were not yet capable of those acts they knowingly and willingly commit as adults.


http://www.123rf.com/photo_8026885_children-around-the-world.html



No comments:

Post a Comment