Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Collecting


Most of us at some point in our lives collect something.

Early on, books were big with me and it is amusing to note that in spite of their father’s and my dispair whilst they were growing up that they didn’t read like we did, as adults my sons also collect books.

Then there were the stamp collections – reinforced after I moved to Europe to study as I could pick up the American ones cheap here (no one seemed interested) and the Swiss ones cheap in California (again what was too far away was deemed of little value, never mind that Swiss stamps still cost a lot). I ceased buying the year’s collection for each son some while back but still probably have a fortune sitting around in various places throughout the house.

My aunt collected rocks – and I find that I tend to bring back granite from the mountains, an interesting stone from here or there; a sand dollar from the beach (legend has it that if you find a sand dollar on the beach and take it home, you will return to the spot – I stopped collecting them on my little sister’s beach when she died). I took some of my aunt’s polished rocks (when we collect, we do it right !) with me after she passed away : my little sister also and when she in turn died imagine my delight to discover amongst her belongings one bag of rocks labelled for my sons – perhaps this is partially what keeps me grounded.

I don’t personally collect coffee cream covers, but the Swiss do and one of the latest collections was just too pretty so I gathered them up and took photos – this is perhaps why the Swiss collect them – they are works of art.






Swiss yodellers
Cheese, alps, edelweiss and cows
Swiss alps and gentians
Barry with milk cnas
The legend: William Tell
Cable car for the alps
an accordionist
Ah quintessentially Swiss
Ibex and the alps
Swiss folklore
The Swiss cross, edelweiss and gentians
typical chalet
one of the many boats on the many lakes
Barry - rescuer of lost persons
Add My heart belongs to Switzerland


No comments:

Post a Comment