Sunday, March 28, 2021

Feeding the neighbourhood

 

I have a friend in the village who discovered a stray kitten/cat (adolescent we think – and call her she although really no idea as to its sex). Being fond of cats, he would like it to become tame enough to come in when he wants, but not become his house cat.

 

Nevertheless it looked rather hungry and I have two cats so brought up some of my food and thus began the process.

 

The original cat has a playmate, who would also like to horn in on the bounty. Mostly she stands up for herself, but sometimes the other has to be shoed off – when one realizes of course, which isn’t always. Recently the bowl with the dry cat food was to be found turned on its side – and often off the step where it had been put come morning.

 

We feed the birds as well, but they haven’t that strength.

 

It could be one of the parents (also stray) of the two kitten/cats, but normally cats aren’t that messy and they can reach easily inside so no need.

 

One night, my friend said that when he went out to put away something, he saw a hedgehog under a bush in the garden. I had already suspected that might be the culprit, but the pictures below confirm the fact.

 

He’s (why do I think that it’s a he? No reason whatsoever except that I think the kitten/cat is a she) obviously awaken early from hibernation and I am not sure how he has managed to survive over the years, but he is a good size so presume he is older.

 

Bless the animals – I’m off to buy more food.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment