Thursday, January 16, 2020

Train to somewhere…



Train to nowhere – travelling for me is often simply going with the flow. And that can be metaphorically or physically given that we certainly have enough rivers and lakes.

I bought myself 20 “day” cards on the Swiss train system for my birthday last year and am really enjoying the joys of “getting up and going” when the mood hits.
Last Saturday I finally made it to Basel (have been saying that I would for several months now, but something – or rather several someones – more interesting came up and I never managed.)

Dame Helvetia overlooking the Rhine in Basel

View of the alps from above the Bern train station Jan 11, 2020

Tuesday I accompanied my younger son on the day out, which I had given him as a Christmas present: a gloriously sunny day, we left at 8 a.m. and returned at 8 p.m. having spent only about 2 and a half hours on foot in all that time. So beautiful that we kept doing loops. Original goal – Lucerne – where I showed him some of the sites and where we ate in Tibits, the new vegetarian restaurant chain that has taken over most of the major train stations. It was so lovely that instead of back-tracking we did a loop to Interlaken so managed to see many of the famous mountain peaks all in one day. Were happily tired but still had a last bite in our local restaurant to round off the day.


Welcome to Lucerne
The old wooden bridge in Lucerne
The lakes on the loop from Lucerne to Interlaken
The same view of the alps from above the Bern train station Jan 14, 2020



No comments:

Post a Comment