Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Someone invented the word foofarah


100 years before I was born….

Now that has a wonderful ring to it, foofarah this and foofarah that, we sometimes shorten it to froufrou – or at least that is what I remember.

And straight out of one of my favorite sites http://wordsmith.org/awad/
ETYMOLOGY:
Foofaraw is a word from the American West, but how was it formed? Nobody knows. Perhaps from French fanfaron or Spanish fanfarrón. Earliest documented use: 1848.

Meaning:

Excessive or unnecessary ornamentation.
2. Fuss; commotion.


I love the froofarah of Christmas – the more the merrier and the like. As a child one of the greatest treats on Christmas Eve was after opening presents and having had dinner we were allowed to fill our pockets with cookies (some of us got sick every Christmas Eve, but I’m not naming names) pile into the car and go see the decorations of the mansions in Pasadena. A child’s wonderland.

As to the other definition: I can make a froofarah at times myself so it is good to have the appropriate word with which to confound my family or friends.

From ABC https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-01/christmas-lights-and-how-to-avoid-complaints-from-neighbours/10564582

No comments:

Post a Comment