Monday, April 24, 2017

People…


The 1964 song, People Who Need People, composed by Jule Styne and Bob Merrill, made Barbra Streisand a star.
 
“But first be a person
Who needs people.
People who need people
Are the luckiest people
In the world! “


As much as I sometimes need a day or two just for myself – the mountains were and are often  my bolthole – I do enjoy people. 

My long-time friends, my new friends, all the acquaintances that make up daily life, those met briefly through others, in short I do like and need people.
Never was this so precious as during the past two days: Friday night I had the pleasure of seeing one of my nephew and his wife’s new flat then going out with a group that he had arranged. I realized as we all sat down to dinner in San Francisco that of the 9 around the table only 2 had not spent a significant amount of time at my home in Switzerland. It was such fun catching up on their lives and I am hoping that the two who have yet to visit me will not hesitate to do so in the future.

Saturday I was able to see a friend whom I met through my sister: she is special as she grew up in Switzerland but came to the USA when she was a young adult – I did the opposite and we have met on both sides of the Atlantic ever since.  Saturday night I was truly blessed in that I was finally able to attend the yearly “donut night” at other friends home.
Fresh donuts: D is a wonderful cook and excels in all she does, but Donut night is truly special. Her daughter and family came from Northern California, her son and his wife from San Diego. Other friends are more local: there were dogs, small children and babies and nary a cell phone, paper or book in sight, only humans interacting and enjoying the moment.

I would have to agree with Streisand: People who need people truly are the luckiest people
In the world! 


No comments:

Post a Comment