Wednesday, October 9, 2019

“Wake up sleepy Sally…”


This morning I woke up first too early/late for that night trip to the bathroom, which lead to my abrupt awakening at 7:40 (rather unheard of for me, but as I had no morning appointments I hadn’t turned on the alarm) and a bit of morning sluggishness, normally not me at all.

As I stumbled half-awake down the stairs towards the kitchen and a ritual of honey, lemon juice and warm water, the old song “wake up sleepy Sally” ran through me head.
Why do these bits and pieces of old songs or phrases come to the fore of our minds?
What triggers them? Why do we even still have them in our memory banks? OK so it turns out it was “Wake up little Susie” by the Everly Brothers and not what my mind produced. Or was it “Wake up sleepy Jean” by the Monkees?  Susie???? Who knows – the mind is a wondrous thing.

I was only 20 minutes late for my coffee. And I did finally “wake up” , regardless of Sally or Jean.

my sleepy cats

No comments:

Post a Comment