Friday, February 12, 2021

Flashback 1982 or thereabouts

 I just spent three days in the mountains with my older son, his wife and my grandson.

I was there to let them take the odd walk, have time off (or time out) from the little one and in general enjoy not having – or being able – to do my normal activities, tasks, work!

 

There were many bonuses, meals put on the table in front of me without my having to lift a finger, sun every single day (those of you who also live around Lake Leman will understand me very well. I can deal with confinement, I can deal with no social life to speak of, but having to deal with constant gray days – starting to be very wearing!).

 

The main bonus was of course being able to interact with my grandson daily. Sometimes he would come down for an hour or two, sometimes I would go up. When the parents went for a hike one morning I decided that we too should take a walk. Gathered up the recycling and walked the some 500 meters to discard that then go to the small village store. Getting to the recycling bin was fine, but then he wanted to be carried (he is only 20 months) and he is too heavy for me. I caved for about 10 meters then put him back down again. He decided that that was just not on and had a mini temper tantrum.

 

Flashback to when his father was about 4 or 5. We were visiting my parents as was the rest of the family and my brother decided one Saturday afternoon that we should take a walk. Great for the whole family, except my grandson’s father (my son), who had always refused to walk anywhere. My brother assured me that he would, I replied, it’s on your head and sure enough we hadn’t gone a quarter of a mile, but what he had to carry his nephew.

 

Funny that said son has turned out to be a real hiker!

 


Alps in the Valais in Switzerland

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment