Monday, March 23, 2020

Flowers are not essential…



In the cruel world of today’s lockdowns, flowers are not deemed essential. What???
For me they have always been very essential. Even in the deepest winter, I have always had fresh flowers on the entry table, or occasionally a flowering plant, for example, December’s poinsettia. But no flowers?!
Not possible.

My tulips were dropping and I had been intending to replace them for several days, but again what with the circumstances both I and the young adult who does my shopping neglected to put them on the list.

With the result that today when she went specifically just for flowers, the flower department was shut, deemed non-essential.

I was later able to get a bunch up at the service station whilst getting gas. Thank goodness that a local grower knows that, indeed, for many of us, FLOWERS ARE ESSENTIAL.
Getting through the days, weeks and potentially months of current world circumstances make small bits of color even more important.

It is interesting to note that our civilization in the Northern Hemisphere is facing much illness and death at a time when nature is exploding: a riot of color to help us keep our sanity. Again, for me, flowers are just as essential as the water I drink, the air I breathe and the food I eat.

No longer saveable - my two-week-old tulips

More expensive, but lovely - my service station boquet


No comments:

Post a Comment