Friday, April 3, 2020

Bits and pieces or…



 Finally, a half-hour to look at “stuff” and catch up on words, sayings and other forms of communication.

After a trip across town to pick up my housemate’s work computer (3 weeks after she was banished to home office) and to hand over documents and other necessary items to my younger son, I actually found that the word-a-day was one that I had never heard!

I started reading at 6 and never stopped: won the prize for most “books” read in first grade, i.e. 62 (I still have the pen on a pin that I received as a prize), my first library card is still one of my most memorable “gifts”, I have a subscription to the local daily, to the English-speaking library and there are never less than two or three other magazines on my main desk.  All that to set the mood: I know a lot of words, so finding a new one was like finding a treasure. Pelion.

Pelion, pelion, pelion, rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it? Meaning? A huge or difficult task, based upon Mont Pelion in Greece. Who knew? I won’t be forgetting anytime soon and it is a very good word for today’s world. A world that encompasses some indeed huge and difficult tasks, the first of which is survival.

On that subject, so far, so good.
And I even know two older persons than me who celebrate birthdays today. Yeah for them, yeah for us.

Linked to the current pandemic is the necessity to be even more cautious than usual with hygiene. I took to washing my knobs, door handles and anything metal with a cloth dipped in water and bleach. I knew that it was a good disinfectant, but didn’t appreciate just how aggressive it is: below is the picture of the cloth after several days of being left in the water/bleach mixture!

Hope that everyone I know is surviving well. Stay in, stay safe!


No comments:

Post a Comment