Monday, July 30, 2018

A thought for the Day indeed.


A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
I am now quite cured of seeking pleasure in society, be it country or town. A sensible man ought to find sufficient company in himself. -Emily Bronte, novelist (30 Jul 1818-1848) from A.Word.A.Day Anu Garg

Struck deeply with me as I read it on my cell phone from the comfort of my bed this morning.
I had to laugh, which brought on another bout of coughing, as I obviously am being « a sensible man », perhaps not by choice, but nevertheless sensible.

Having coughed through the nights on both Wednesday and Thursday I chose to not attend a birthday party Friday night as as much as I wanted to, I already didn’t feel 100% in form and there was a newborn present. Thank goodness I listened to intuition. Friday night I sneezed and dripped the whole night.

Saturday I hit the pharmacy and that night took a pill to at least stop the coughing. Slept the night through and
yesterday I spent the day in bed, dozing. With a fever at the end of the day I had to send out a « cancellation of the party » notice, sigh.
Today I called a doctor.
Diagnosis – a viral respiratory infection.
Care – basically what I’ve been doing, ie take it easy, drink fluids, take the odd paraceptomol for systems.
I appreciated this doctor’s take on things and, barring any unforessen developments (pneumonia is always a worry with a respiratory virus), I’ll be back on my feet soon.

The fact that I am starting to feel hungry again was a good sign according to the doctor and lunch (I had turned down about 10 offers of help with food and groceries by saying that it was a good chance to empty cupboards, freezers and refrigerators) was the last slice of turkey from Christmas, on a piece of XLVitality bread. If that doesn’t help what will ?

So for the moment I am following Emily Bronte’s advice to the letter, more to not expose any of my friends to this rather unpleasant experience than from any true desire to be on my own, still am starting to catch up on the reading so every negative has its positive.

They may look tough - I'm tougher!

No comments:

Post a Comment