Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Theophoric


Was the Word-a-Day today and I must admit that when I saw it, I immediately thought – ok they’ve come up with a new name for these evangelicals who think that the whole world should be ruled by religious laws and are euphoric on their own brand of fanaticism.

 

Disclaimer: I am not picking on evangelicals, as the same religious fanaticism can easily be applied to many throughout the world.

 

But in context of USA politics which we are all following closely, evangelicals came to mind.

 

But then I stopped to read the definition and to my surprise it had nothing at all to do with what I surmised to be the definition. Rather it simply means “Having or derived from the name of a god. »

 

So, if needs be, yet again a lesson in ‘don’t think that you have the absolute, or even the best, idea of what anything means’.

 

 Wordsmith.org  the beauty of language


No comments:

Post a Comment